The West Suffolk Interfaith & Community Forum
Celebrating diversity, Nurturing community, Building peace
The Management Committee
Chair: Chris Andrews
Vice - Chair: Barbara Mayhew
Acting Treasurer: Marian Shaw
Secretary : John Cox
Members: Ishara Ali
The Management Committee meets regularly to plan the forthcoming programme. It welcomes suggestions for future activities, and news of events from other appropriate organisations and groups.
19 November 5.45 - 7.15pm at The United Reformed Church, Whiting Street, BSE
The name of the Forum shall be: West Suffolk Interfaith and Community Forum
The aims of the Forum shall be:
a. To engage in and stimulate dialogue and exchange between faith communities and other traditions of belief in the town of Bury St Edmunds and surrounding area
b. To generate trust, mutual respect and friendship between groups and individuals, and more widely within the community
c. Promote knowledge and understanding, and work to overcome ignorance, fear and misunderstanding between persons of different religions, faiths and beliefs and the wider community
d. To promote and enable discussion of matters of mutual concern and interest, and;
e. To promote community cohesion, tolerance, engagement and benefit
In order to achieve its aims the Forum may:
- Raise Money
- Open bank accounts
- Take out insurance
- Employ staff
- Acquire and manage buildings
- Organise meetings and events
- Cooperate with and support other groups and organisations
- Do anything that is lawful which will help it to fulfil its aims
- Membership of the Forum shall be open to any person over 18 or any organisation living, located or operating in Bury St Edmunds or surrounding area who is interested in helping the Forum to achieve its aims, willing to abide by the rules of the Forum and willing to pay any subscription agreed by the Management Committee.
- Membership shall be available to anyone without regard to gender, race, nationality, disability, sexuality, marital status, religion or belief.
- Every individual member and each member organisation shall have one vote at General Meetings.
- Member organisations may appoint a representative to attend meetings of the Forum. Representatives shall have all the privileges of membership.
- At the AGM the Management Committee may recommend to the membership, for its approval, the imposition of, or change regarding, a membership fee or subscription.
- The membership of any member may be terminated for good reason by the Management Committee but the member has a right to be heard by the Management Committee before a final decision is made.
- The Management Committee shall keep a record of all members.
- The Forum shall be administered by a Management Committee of the Officers and not more than 6 other members elected at the Forum’s Annual General Meeting (AGM).
- The Officers of the Management Committee shall be: the Chairperson, the Treasurer and the Secretary and up to two other officers.
- Officers will normally serve for 2 years and may be re-appointed for future terms.
- The Management Committee shall meet at least six times per year.
- The quorum for Management Committee meetings shall be 5 members.
- Meetings of Management Committee shall normally be chaired by the Chairperson.
- The Management Committee may, by a two-thirds majority vote and for a good and proper reason, remove any Committee member, provided that person has the right to be heard before a final decision is made.
- The Management Committee may appoint another member of the Forum as a Committee member to fill a vacancy provided the maximum number is not exceeded.
- The Management Committee may co-opt up to two Committee members who will have full voting rights and whose terms of office will be for no more than one year.
- The Management Committee may appoint working groups for specific projects from both Committee and ordinary members of the Forum. The Committee may delegate specific operational decision-making powers to these groups as needs arise.
5. Finance and property
- Any money and property obtained by the Forum shall be used only for the Forum.
- Any bank accounts opened for the Forum shall be in the name of the Forum.
- Any cheques issued shall be signed by the treasurer and one other nominated official.
- The Management Committee must keep accounts. The most recent Annual Accounts can be seen by anyone on request.
- Management Committee members cannot receive any money or property from the Forum, except refunds of reasonable out of pocket expenses.
- In the event of winding up, any assets remaining after all debts have been paid shall be given to another Group with similar aims.
- Members of the Management Committee will be required to make a declaration of any relevant Conflict of Interest that arises in conducting the business of the Forum.
6. Annual General Meeting
- The Forum shall hold an Annual General Meeting (A.G.M.) in the month of May.
- All members shall be given at least 14 days’ notice of the AGM and shall be entitled to attend and vote. The quorum for the AGM shall be 5 members.
- Constitutional matters may not be discussed at the AGM unless they have been notified to the Management Committee at least 14 days in advance of the meeting.
- The business of the AGM shall include:
- receiving a report from the Chairperson on the Forum’s activities over the year
- receiving a report from the Treasurer on the finances of the Forum
- electing a new Management Committee
- considering any other matter as may be decided.
7. Special General Meeting
A Special General Meeting may be called by the Management Committee or by any other 5 members to discuss an urgent matter. The Secretary shall give all members 14 days’ notice of any Special General Meeting together with notice of the business to be discussed. All members shall be entitled to attend and vote.
The Forum may be wound up at any time if agreed by two-thirds of those members present and voting at any General Meeting.
9. Alterations to the Constitution
Any changes to this Constitution must be agreed by two-thirds of those members present and voting ay any General Meeting. No change can be made that would mean that the organisation could no longer be considered to have charitable aims.
This constitution was adopted at a general meeting of the Forum on 8 May 2018